Back Print this page
Legalbrief   |   your legal news hub Thursday 20 August 2026

NPA planning to recharge Zuma

The strongest indication yet that ANC Deputy President Jacob Zuma may be charged again with corruption came yesterday with news that the National Prosecuting Authority has given notice to Zuma and French arms company Thint that it will apply for documents, crucial in the case against Zuma, to be released by the Mauritian High Court, which is holding them sealed by order.

A report in The Mercury says the NPA will make the application for the documents on December 12 in the chambers of a Durban High Court judge. The documents would be sought in terms of section 2 (2) of the International Co-operation on Criminal Matters Act. In March the NPA attempted to get a similar order for a letter of request for mutual legal assistance. Jerome Brauns SC, one of Zuma’s advocates, pointed out that the Zuma team had already indicated it would oppose the application and Ajay Sooklal, Thint’s attorney, said Thint would definitely oppose it. Full report in The Mercury (subscription needed)