Back Print this page
Legalbrief   |   your legal news hub Wednesday 19 August 2026

NPA expects Mauritian documents to point to ‘important’ meeting

The documentation sought by the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) from Mauritian authorities is expected to show that a meeting took place between Jacob Zuma, Schabir Shaik and Alain Thetard, the former CE of French arms manufacturer, Thint.

The legal teams of Zuma and Thint confirmed yesterday they had received copies of the notice ‘to make an application to a judge in chambers on December 12 at 9.30am’. The NPA is asking the Durban High Court to issue a letter of request to the Attorney-General of Mauritius in terms of the International Co-operation in Criminal Matters Act. In supporting documentation it is revealed that ‘the entry (in Thetard\'s diary) for March 11 2000 is a particularly important piece of evidence for the State in the present prosecution, says a Mail & Guardian Online report. It appears from this entry that Thetard met with \'J Zuma + SS\' in Durban on that day’. In March the NPA had attempted to obtain a similar letter of request, but Judge Pete Combrinck ruled that any letter of request would have to be granted by a trial judge. Full report on the Mail & Guardian Online site

The documents the State is seeking were seized from Thales International Africa during a simultaneous operation in three countries – SA, Mauritius and France in October 2001 – says an SABC News report. The State says all these documents will be relevant evidence to the present investigation and prosecution that may arise. Lawyers acting for the French arms company and those representing Zuma have indicated they would oppose the application. Such a move would in all likelihood result in the matter being adjourned to next year. In the affidavits, the State emphasises urgency in the matter and that it wants to ensure all outstanding investigations are finalised as soon as possible. In his affidavit, Leonard McCarthy, head of the Scorpions, says there is a reasonable prospect that charges could be re-instated. According to Business Day he believes ‘serious offences have been committed’, which were his reasons for the application, but he emphasised no decision to prosecute had been taken. Full SABC News report Full Business Day report