SA pushes back on Ghana’s xenophobia concerns
Pretoria has pushed back against Ghana after it called for alleged xenophobic attacks against African migrants in South Africa (SA) to be discussed at the upcoming African Union (AU) summit in Egypt. It says the incidents had sparked concern across the continent and also called for investigations into possible human rights violations and stronger protection for African migrants. The Sunday Tribune reports that the Department of International Relations & Co-operation on Friday said government had already condemned the incidents and acted swiftly through law enforcement: ‘(It) moved swiftly to condemn acts of confrontation and intimidation and directed all law enforcement agencies to promptly take the necessary actions within the laws of the republic to guarantee the safety of citizens, residents and visitors and to bring to book all perpetrators whose actions are inconsistent with the rule of law and fundamental values of our Constitution.’ It added that SA remains committed to engaging Ghana and other African partners through established diplomatic channels and warned against the spread of unverified information and social media content that could inflame tensions between countries.
Zimbabwean-born, SA-based TikToker Ndoyisile Sibindi has sparked a wave of controversy after his audition for the SABC3 lifestyle show, Top Billing, reports TimesLIVE. The broadcaster recently opened calls for auditions to find a new presenter for the return of the lifestyle magazine show. While the search is open to any individual legally eligible to work in SA, Sibindi’s entry has reignited heated debates regarding nationality and employment of foreign nationals in SA. The social media sensation, who boasts over 1m followers on TikTok, initially polled his Facebook audience on whether he should pursue the opportunity. While many fans encouraged him to take the leap, critics warned of a potential public outcry. Despite the warnings, Sibindi posted his audition video, which quickly went viral and drew mixed reactions. Supporters praised him, while critics argued that the role should be reserved for SA citizens, citing the country’s high unemployment rate.