Publish date: 11 February 2019
Issue Number: 810
Diary: IBA Legalbrief Africa
'There is need to identify the sponsors of terrorism and address its root causes while putting counter terrorism measures in place'
– Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi addressing the AU Summit
‘It’s a catalytic find.’
– Niall Kramer, CEO of the South African Oil & Gas Alliance, after Total SA last week said it has opened up a new ‘world-class’ oil and gas province off the coast of SA after making a significant gas-condensate discovery there.
‘As a nation, we must address this scourge. Sexual penetration of minors is punishable by life imprisonment.’
– Sierra Leone President Julius Maada Bio who has declared rape and sexual violence a ‘national emergency’.
‘Despite the worst excesses of apartheid, we did not descend into vengeance when our freedom was won. Our democracy has blossomed and flourished, nurtured by the goodwill of the men and women of this great land, who understand only too well at what cost it was attained. But the road towards true freedom is a long one, and we have seen divisions in our society grow.’
– President Cyril Ramaphosa in his State of the Nation address.
‘In SA he is known for his poor attempts to sound and look like former South African President, the late Nelson Mandela, and former American President Barack Obama.’
– Zimbabwean journalist Nobleman Runyanga (in The Herald) on DA leader Mmusi Maimane