Detention of terror suspects extended
Publish date: 13 January 2020
Issue Number: 855
Diary: IBA Legalbrief Africa
A Kenyan court has granted the extension of the detention of two suspects arrested in connection with last Sunday’s terror attack at a military airstrip at Manda Bay. As previously reported in Legalbrief Today, a US soldier and two American military contractors died in the attack which the Pentagon said was carried out by Al Shabaab. Magistrate Kennedy Cheruiyot issued the directive following a request by the anti-terrorism police unit which had sought to have James Ikaba and Miriam Njoki detained longer. The Nation reports that Cheruiyot said he took into consideration the recent spate of terror attacks in the country and ‘the court finds compelling reasons to hold the two until the investigations in the matter are complete’. US military officials said they assessed that the attack in Kenya was not related to soaring tensions between the US and Iran after an American drone killed Iranian general Qassim Soleimani.