Fresh Boko Haram attack reported
Publish date: 31 January 2015
Issue Number: 611
Diary: IBA Legalbrief Africa
Suspected Boko Haram militants attacked Nigeria's north-eastern city of Maiduguri yesterday (Sunday).
A report on the allAfrica.com site notes that the attack came as a surprise to some as the group had released 192 hostages it kidnapped earlier this month. 'Troops are repelling a simultaneous attack on Monguno and Maiduguri by terrorists,' the Defence Department tweeted, according to the report. It states the department said air and land operations were continuing against the Islamists, adding also a curfew had been imposed on the city which had been a hotbed for the Boko Haram insurgency over the past five years. A security source said all roads had been closed and commercial activity in the immediate area shut down, according to the report. Full report on the allAfrica.com site