Journalist blows whistle on alleged soccer graft
Publish date: 07 June 2018
Issue Number: 614
Diary: Legalbrief Forensic
A Ghanaian investigative journalist on Tuesday vowed to carry on undercover work despite receiving death threats in relation to an exposé on alleged corruption in football. 'I am not scared and I will not be intimidated. I'm keeping my focus and will not be distracted,' Anas Aremeyaw Anas reportedly told AFP. The reporter who has previously exposed graft in the judiciary and keeps his identity a closely guarded secret confirmed that his next documentary, due to be released this week, involved football. A BBC News report says the two-year undercover investigation into football in Africa has revealed footage of more than 100 referees and officials taking cash before games. A report on the News24 site notes that President Nana Akufo-Addo last month told police that the head of the Ghana Football Association, Kwesi Nyantakyi, had ‘used the President’s name and office fraudulently’. Nyantakyi was then questioned by police and released pending further investigation. The Ghana Association of Journalists said speculation about the journalist’s identity put his life and that of others at risk.