Close This website uses modern features that are not supported by your browser. Click here for more information.
Please upgrade to a modern browser to view this website properly. Google Chrome Mozilla Firefox Opera Safari
your legal news hub
Sub Menu
Search

Search

Filter
Filter
Filter
A A A

Protesters get bail following 'silent march'

Publish date: 06 August 2018
Issue Number: 785
Diary: IBA Legalbrief Africa
Category: DRC

Forty civil DRC rights campaigners who were arrested following a protest over sexual violence in the country's conflict-torn central region have been granted bail. They were arrested during a silent march in Kinshasa on Monday last week. 'They were going to hand in a statement to ask the President to get involved in releasing women and girls who have been forced into sexual slavery,' said Commitment for Change spokesperson Nera Kanyinda. A report on the News24 site notes that he said they were released on Tuesday 'and no charge has been held against them'. The Kasai region plunged into violence in September 2016 after government troops killed a local chieftain, Kamwina Nsapu.

Full report on the News24 site